Friday, January 8, 2010

The End Of An Era

Wowzer, it's been a trip ladies and gentlemen. If I were to be honest, I'd say it's been too short, but that just means it'll have to continue in the future. For now though, I'd like to close a chapter on the Fabian Chronicles.
When I met Fabian four months ago, I had no idea what I was getting into. This man is a genius, I recommend each and every one of you listen to everything he has to say and soak it in.

MUTT: Who is your favorite dictator?

Fabian: Josip Broz Tito, the Yugoslav statesman and revolutionary. He's kind of a weird hero in international relations circles. Even though he was a communist, he eventually formed the non-alignment party. He said, “let’s not play” in terms of the whole aligned parties (Warsaw pact and Nato) and instead kicked it with the South Pacific islands and such. He also got all the people of Yugoslavia together; in a time and place where there was a lot of national angst among Eastern European peoples he managed to keep everyone in Yugoslavia relatively happy and content.

As an aside, the dictator I disliked the most Pol Pot. He started the Khymer Rouge in Cambodia and tried to go to year zero. He basically just killed everyone, Cambodian killing fields, you may have heard of it.

Editors Note: At this point in the conversation we got a bit side-tracked, I forget why or how, but my notes tell me this. Today I learned a word, "Wet." I'd never heard it used in the way Fabian had, so excuse me if you're ahead of me on this one. But to those who weren't born on the street, Wet means to get your hands bloody. Education is Power, as they say....And back to it!

MUTT: What would you like to be remembered for?

Fabian:
A character and a stand-up guy. You know, a solid guy. Reliable, thoughtful and so forth. But also, a character. That’s part of my shtick. I like to be entertained, so I like to be entertaining as well. What’s more important than having a good time and being true to yourself.

MUTT: I like it. Alright Fabian, one last question. Would you rather have wisdom or wealth?

Fabian: I'll end it with a quote from our good friend Sophocles in his Athenian tragedy, "Oedipus Rex." He said, "Alas, how terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the man that's wise!"

Mutt: Preach. Thanks again Fabian.

Fabian: You're welcome my man.

So there it is folks. Tune in next time to hear more from the world of the John Deere factory on SE Morrison.

No comments: